Windimurra Vanadium Project
The Windimurra Vanadium Project certainly had its challenges before it was handed over to Pinc to complete. After being closed down by Xstrata in 2002, this facility was restarted in 2007 only to fall into the receiver’s hands due to the GFC. Atlantic Limited purchased the project in 2010, and engaged Pinc to manage the reconstruction and commissioning of the Windimurra Vanadium Plant.
Pinc adopted a unique integrated management approach, or Vertical Integrated Management (VIM) to best utilise the skills of both the contractors and the client to achieve the best possible schedule and cost outcomes. Working with a number of local contractors allowed a high utilisation of the best resources from all parties and a clear and consistent approach to safety, schedule and construction solutions.
Pinc Group delivered the Windimurra Vanadium Projects commissioning to meet the required schedule and with full board and management reporting from our in-house systems (PincCost and PincDocs) delivered a clear and consistent understanding across the whole project.
This approach put a strong emphasis on selecting the correct contracting type to reflect the risks that the contractors would face whilst ensuring a strong collaboration between the second tier local contractors.
The project and construction management approach implemented by Pinc was highly successful, with the project finishing within its original target schedule duration and 20% under budget, allowing the project to return nearly all the contingency to the client.
- Pinc has commissioned the only FeV plant in Australia
- Commendable safety record involving only 1 LTI
- No unresolved contractual claims to handover
- Successfully re-engaged all the key vendors, despite the legacy of unresolved historic debt
- Implemented Pinc’s in-house Project Management system (PincSys) to successfully manage project cost, contracts administration and document control requirements
- Implemented a complete document control solution for operations and life of asset
- Successfully managed the technical data (design and vendor), procedural data, records, correspondence, periodical reporting, etc.