Utah Point Berth Project – Port Hedland
Utah Point Berth Project – Multi-User Bulk Export Facility – Project Management
Pinc was engaged as the Project Manager for the development of the Utah Point Berth Project (UPBP) multi-user public access wharf and associated infrastructure at Port Hedland, as part of an integrated client team with Port Hedland Port Authority (PHPA).
Pinc’s scope of services included concept development, planning, permitting, environmental approvals (full PER), managing the design phase, issuing tenders and contracts and full construction and commissioning of the new $300M 20mtpa port facilities.
Pinc Group integrated the Utah Point Berth Project with a number of other proponents operating facilities and worked with all stakeholders to deliver a safe project – including bringing in a critical aspect of the project 21 days early to assist a key proponent meet their deadline.
Safety, budget, schedule with a high level of resource management allowed the project to be delivered at less than 9% of capital cost – almost a third better outcome than the majority of Pinc Groups larger competitors. Using our systems to manage reporting, cost, schedule, document control, contracts and procurement with full roll up to board and executive reports each month allowed all stakeholders to be clear on the status and outcomes of the project.
Pinc Groups Utah Point Berth Project went onto win a number of awards including a West Australian and National engineering excellence awards as well as a national transport award – a high water mark achievement for West Australian infrastructure projects and Pinc Group.
- Provides junior miners access to port facilities and export markets
- Reduction in noise and dust impacts on the Port Hedland Township
- Sustainability improvements in water conservation, fuel emissions and mangrove propagation
- Increased local employment and indigenous training opportunities
- Improved traffic safety by minimising light and heavy vehicle interactions
- Improved efficiency with automatic mooring system and innovative materials handling
- New and effective project management approach involving collaboration between Pinc and PHPA in an integrated team
- Implemented PincSys to manage life of assets and project cost and document control requirements.